Hoops - What do I need for a hoop to Cross Stitch?

The most common question I get asked is regarding hoops. 

First - what is a hoop?

    An embroidery hoop is a commonly used tool used to keep your fabric in place. there are many different varieties and sizes of hoops available. The most common is the round hoop either in wood or plastic, however there are square and scroll types as well.



Do I need a hoop?

    The use of a hoop is a personal preference. For a small item on stiff aida cloth a hoop may not be necessary. For larger projects, or softer fabric such as linen, I highly recommend using a hoop.

What size hoop do I need?

    That depends..... 

If you want to have the project completed in a hoop look at the finished size based on the fabric you are using. You are going to want the completed size to fit within the hoop, with a little overhang of the fabric. Let's use Mothman here for an example (pattern and kit available on my Etsy site... subtle plug)

This guy is 72 x 76 stitches, so the completed size on 14 count Aida cloth is 5.14 x 5.43 inches. 

To complete him in a hoop you are going to need a hoop that is at least 8 inches, and your fabric should be a little larger than that. 
For a round hoop, the size of the hoop is the diameter. While your hoop may be 6 inches across at the middle, the top, bottom and sides are not. So if your pattern is under six inches at the top/bottom or height in the side, it still may not fit in a six inch hoop.



Now, if you are just using a hoop for stitching, any size works as you can move it around. Find a size that you are comfortable using. You don't want a super small one that you are having to constantly adjust, however sometimes working with really large hoops can be uncomfortable.  Personally I use a 8 inch circle hoop for all my projects. 

Hoops in Kits

    When purchasing kits some contain hoops, and some do not. Very small completed patterns more often add hoops, where as larger patterns often do not

Adding hoops to kits is a conversations I have seen with a lot of Etsy sellers, and the feedback regarding to add them or not is about 50/50. 
Pros of adding hoops
    - some people love having their completed project in a hoop
    - they may be new to cross stitch and do not have a hoop already
Cons of adding hoops
    - Increased cost of products and shipping.
    - After the purchase of multiple kits the hoops collection can start building up, it becomes a wasteful item.

I do not add hoops in my kits. Primarily to keep the costs lower, and to offer free shipping in Canada. Personally though, I was moving once, and while packing I found a huge box filled with hoops. It felt like a waste to me so I prefer to have my one lovely green hoop, that I have used for years. That was prior to being able to buy items online, and I was limited to what was available in the stores, so that also got me started on the journey to make my own patterns, but that is a story for another day.

Comments

Popular Posts